June Members' Meeting & Jam Our next Gathering and Jam will be on Sunday, June 14, 2015 at Nik's Place in Marietta, GA. Note this is on the 2nd Sunday rather than the 3rd because of Father's Day. Our host band will be the Sweet & Salty Blues Band featuring Kathy G on vocals and Dr. Poppa on vocals and sax as well as Rocky Buldo on bass, David Pippin (our Solo/Duo winner) on guitar, and Bobby Andre on drums. Together they offer alternative rocking blues with a twist. Nik's, which is housed in a home built in 1868, will be offering up their great drinks and Greek inspired food. http://www.niksplace.com/index.html https://www.facebook.com/sweetandsaltyblues?fref=ts
Save the date:
• Saturday June 20, 2015 - Norcross Bluesberry Festival & Beer Fest
• Sunday July 19, 2015 - ABS Monthly Gathering and Jam, venue and host band to be announced
• Sunday August 23, 2015 - The Atlanta Blues Challenge at the Hard Rock Cafe
May Members' Meeting & Jam
The May Gathering & jam at Moonshadow Tavern on Sunday was great. Our host band Blues Generation did a funky, bluesy set complete with a Louisiana style procession (conga line) in tribute of BB King. The Moonshadow was serving up its delicious food, especially their yummy Chicken Wings. The jam was expertly handled by Dustin Peterson and the great Albert White showed up to jam. In our raffle we gave away 2 VIP tickets to GABBAfest, which the lucky Mr. Wallace Mobley won. We also gave away 2 CD packages. George also announced that we had collected $165 for the Blue Flame Fund the night before when we raffled off a handmade Cigar Box guitar (lucky winner was member Randy Hitchcock) at the Stacey Mitchart show at Darwin's.
The Atlanta Blues Society Press Release
What: 2015 Atlanta Blues Challenge
When: Sunday, August 23, 2015, 1pm - 8:30pm
Where: Hard Rock Cafe, Atlanta, GA
The Atlanta Blues Challenge is the Atlanta Blues Society’s competition to select our representatives for the International Blues Challenge in Memphis, TN. The Atlanta Blues Challenge will be held on Sunday August 23, 2015 at the Hard Rock Cafe, 215 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA 30303, 404-688-7625 in downtown Atlanta. We will be starting at 1 pm and will end about 8:30pm. To help offset the costs of the challenge we will be charging $10 for ABS members and $15 for non-members at the door.
Musicians, time is of the essence to get into the challenge. We may need to limit the number of entrants we accept due to time constraints, so being the first to apply will be very important to ensure your entry. We will be accepting applications beginning immediately for 3 categories, Band, Solo/Duo and Youth. The deadline for submitting applications is midnight August 9, 2015. The winners in each category will represent The Atlanta Blues Society at the Blues Foundation’s International Blues Challenge (IBC) in Memphis, TN which will take place January 26-30, 2016. Winners must finance their own trip to Memphis and fund raisers are encouraged. All members in the act for the Youth category must be under 21 as of the IBC dates. The Youth winners will be featured in the Youth Showcase in Memphis on Friday. Under 21’s may compete in the Band & Solo/Duo categories.
Entrance fees for the Challenge have been significantly reduced from past years and you can get a discount by being a Musician Sponsor of the ABS. The entrance fees for this year’s Atlanta Blues Challenge are as follows:
• Band Act: $25 for Musician Sponsor, $100 for non-musician sponsor
• Solo/Duo: $20 for Musician Sponsor, $75 for Non-musician sponsor
• Youth Act: $25 for Musician Sponsor, $100 for non-musician sponsor
Musician sponsorship is available for a minimum of $50 a year. To see sponsorship levels and become a musician sponsor contact us for a sponsorship form or CLICK HERE.
Prize money for each winning act is as follows:
• Band - $750
• Solo/Duo - $300
• Youth - $400
• People’s Choice - $250
Winner of People’s Choice act will be determined by voting of the paying patrons at the event. The Prize winners will be invited to play at the Atlanta Blues Society’s Holiday party in December, where the prize money will be awarded along with any tips raised at the party. Winning acts are encouraged to have at least one other fundraising show. In addition to the prize money, the Atlanta Blues Society has made arrangements with our sponsor; Midnight Circus Productions, to provide a studio Master recording that can be used to produce CD’s which can be sold before, during and after the Memphis event.
For questions and applications to enter the Atlanta Blues Challenge contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Winning acts will be expected to know and follow all rules for the International Blues Challenge in Memphis. Please read all the rules posted on the Blues Foundation site for the IBC at http://www.blues.org/international-blues-challenge/
The Blues Kid of the Year Contest is for the 11-to-15-year-old Blues Kids who live in Canada, Mexico, or the United States. The audition process should be under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian. The contestant can enter playing any instrument or instrument, including vocals. Proof of age might be requested. The winner will be announced at BluesKids.com/Contest and on Facebook on Saturday, May 30th. •
The Blues Foundations "Blues Music Awards" was a great event that was attended by over 1500 people. Here is a list of those who walked away with this coveted honor!
1. Acoustic Album: Timeless – John Hammond
2. Acoustic Artist: John Hammond
3. Album: Can’t Even Do Wrong Right – Elvin Bishop
4. B.B. King Entertainer: Bobby Rush
5. Band: Elvin Bishop Band
6. Best New Artist Album: Don’t Call No Ambulance – Selwyn Birchwood
7. Contemporary Blues Album: BluesAmericana – Keb’ Mo’
8. Contemporary Blues Female Artist: Janiva Magness
9. Contemporary Blues Male Artist: Gary Clark Jr.
10. Historical: Soul & Swagger: The Complete “5” Royales (Rock Beat)
11. Instrumentalist-Bass: Lisa Mann
12. Instrumentalist-Drums: Jimi Bott
13. Instrumentalist-Guitar: Joe Bonamassa
14. Instrumentalist-Harmonica: Charlie Musselwhite
15. Instrumentalist-Horn: Deanna Bogart
16. Koko Taylor Award: Ruthie Foster
17. Pinetop Perkins Piano Player: Marcia Ball
18. Rock Blues Album: Step Back – Johnny Winter
19. Song: “Can’t Even Do Wrong Right” written and performed by Elvin Bishop
20. Soul Blues Album: Memphis Grease – John Németh
21. Soul Blues Female Artist: Sista Monica
22. Soul Blues Male Artist: Bobby Rush
23. Traditional Blues Album: "For Pops" (Muddy Waters) – Mud Morganfield & Kim Wilson
24. Traditional Blues Male Artist: Lurrie Bell
ABS Bluescast is going strong! We've had the stream on line for a month and we have gone to
#19 of all blues stations on the web,
and #1000 of all stations (out of 8,000 stations).
We are being listened to in 39 countries around the globe. We are being Listened to in 33 out of the 50 states throughout the country.
In the last 30 days we have had 1306 Hours of listening time on our station! ALL Local artists with New releases are getting 48 Spins Each on the Roots Music Report Radio Charts.
Be sure to visit the following social networking sites:
From time to time we will move older items from the front page to the Archives Page.
If there is an item you would like to review and you don’t see it here, check the archives!
******************************************************* We need your help. Please Click Here to eMail us -
to volunteer or come to our next meeting!